Pages

Thursday 23 February 2012

Motivation vs Laziness

There’s a constant battle going on in my head at most times (not quite all times). It’s the battle between my lazy self (LS) and my super motivated, “let’s get ‘er done” self (SMS). Basically, my LS usually wins and it’s been an ongoing battle that my SMS has been getting more and more frustrated with. Life’s not as long as we’d like, maybe we’ll have augmentations by the time I’d be dying so as to make this point moot in the future, but for now it’s a limited lifetime and one I intend to live.

Lately I’ve been taking on more and more hobbies, things I’d have liked to do earlier but was too busy with my Engineering Degree. Here’s a list of the ones that are the most important to me at the moment:

  • Learn Guitar
  • Make comedic songs for YouTube
  • Create short films
  • Complete my private pilot’s license
  • Complete a triathlon
I have so many more but they aren’t the focus of my life at the moment. I’ve started on all of these things minus the short films, that require more time and the help of others. Now this guy, this LS that keeps getting in the way of SMS is not my friend, he’s like that sketchy friend who gets you into all sorts of trouble while claiming to have your best intentions in mind. This guy likes video games, sleep, and giving up. Now, SMS likes video games too but he knows his limit. Video games are a release, a de-stresser, a simplified sense of accomplishment, but LS likes them a little bit too much.

I know you all know what I'm talking about.  For example, last night I set my alarm for 5:30am, the plan was to wake up and get my ass to the gym (opens at 6am) and start my day hard-corily. I successfully woke up, my alarm is located across the room so I have to do some walking to turn it off. I was able to pack my bag and get out the door but the whole time my LS was screaming “Get back to bed, you can do this tonight or tomorrow morning, or on the weekend!” He wouldn't shut up even when we arrived at the gym, not until I hit the treadmill, then I was in the zone and his voice was stifled.

I often wish this guy would just leave for good, whenever I think something is worth doing just hit it with all my might and beat the crap out of whatever obstacles might stand in my way.  So far I seem to be gaining the advantage, but you never know when the next time he'll strick will be.  It will probably be a moment of weakness, or a time when I've got my guard down.  I've been successfully going to the guy for the last few weeks, 3 times a week.  Last week I only managed 2 of the 3 planned days, this week was the same, I need to get that 3rd day back!  That's my goal for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment